Wednesday, August 1, 2007

An MTC Note

Editor's Note:

This email finally came as I gave up hope that we would hear this week. I gues the system was down at the MTC, but apparently came up just in time for him to get in a few words before bed. We should get a regular letter in a couple days with pictures.

The missionaries told me Sunday that Elder Fitzgerald, who was in Ian's MTC Spanish class and is now in the Lauderhill Ward, reported that Ian works really hard at his Spanish. I was glad to hear it because his Spanish 1 teacher in high school deflated his confidence in ever catching on. His second year teacher worked to change his attitude and encourage him. I emailed her yesterday to let her know about his mission and that her efforts four years ago are now bearing fruit.

Jorge Azabache is a Peruvian surfer who has been in the ward for years and started teaching Ian to surf in middle school. He is excited that in two years Ian will come back home and speak to him in his native language. Sunday I told him Ian's favorite hymn is page 88. I got out a Spanish hymnal from my library supply and he snagged his mother from the hallway. They stood together and sang it to me. It was very sweet. They were so earnest. When they finished I had tears in my eyes and he smiled and said, “This was my mission song.” They were surprised to learn it isn't in our English hymnal so they translated it for me. It is a powerful message about loving the Lord so much that we will do everything we can to serve in his vineyard. Very often I have unexpected spiritual experiences in the library.

Thank you to all who are writing and sending packages. He is getting lots of attention and I hope sharing his treats with elders who don't get any. His address is in the sacrament program every week and I am surprised how many people tell me they have written to them. This week he mentions hearing from the YM president.

Also, since Todd is the only family member I know of who speaks Spanish, a reminder to the rest of you that Ian's continual reference to "hermanas" means the sister missionaries.


MTC
July 30, 2007

Mom,

Sure, send those white sandals, I packed up my blue ones. I returned my dorm key, so fight the fine. Tell them I'm on a mission.

I wrote a letter today because the email wasn't working, so I'm almost out of time. I got to go to the ER again, this time to watch the ice cream sandwich breaking elder get an ultra sound. I sent pictures in the mail.

Send those sandals, the shirt, but also send that 'chocolate' backpack so I've got something to travel with.

Elder Fitzgerald is an amazing guy. Trent Boggess sent me a nice letter. Call Dita and find out her Utah address for me before I leave. Tell Casey, 'hey'.

I teach in Spanish tonight for the first time. Its not that easy. I'm just not scared whatsoever to go to Argentina. The hermanas are all nervous wrecks.

Jordan Flake sent me such an awesome package. I included some pictures in the letter today intended for Marcus. I talked to a kid who's brother went to Resistencia and he went Crocodile hunting with Guarani Indians. He was being a big shot and was like "You ever been croc hunting before?" I just looked at him and was like "nah, but I got friends who've caught them." He was so taken a back. He didn't know where I was from. Just a poor chap from South Jordan trying to make me feel like Argentina was less exotic than Cambodia.

Send some of that shampoo as well. Say 'hi' to Adrie. I talk surf with the Hawai'ians at least once a week. The Rhodes sent me letters from Ecuador. I have a huge burn on my hip from 4 square, but it's all good. I just try not to get so heated over it. But I'm okay.

I think I miss music the most out of anything. I had plenty of music that would be fine, but it would have been too much of a temptation. Everyone. EVERYONE walks around humming "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing", including my companion. I think hummed hymns go around like a disease. I think I'm the only white kid who a month in is still constantly humming reggae songs without knowing it.

My companion is such a lumberjack; ask him his blood type and he'll say "cedar". It's taken him a month to come out of his shell, but he's funny now. I'm senior companion.


Ian

No comments: